Pointe Coupee General Hospital is committed to meeting the special healthcare needs of Pointe Coupee Parish by providing the highest quality of care. The foundation for the provision of this client focused healthcare encompasses a continuum of services delivered with compassion, understanding, respect, and dignity.
History of Pointe Coupee General Hospital
In 1949, the Mosley Clinic was opened at a location on False River in downtown New Roads, Louisiana. The following year, the Sisters of St. Joseph leased this 26 bed clinic on a trial basis with the option to buy from the owner. The name of the institution was changed to the Sisters of St. Joseph Hospital. The ownership of the hospital was transferred to the parish of Pointe Coupee in 1969. It was founded as a Hospital Service District by act of the state legislature and governed by a nine member Board of Commissioners, appointed by the Pointe Coupee Parish Police Jury. With these changes came the establishment of a different name and construction of a new 60 bed facility at a new location on False River Drive in New Roads. In 2004, Pointe Coupee General Hospital was designated a critical access facility by the federal government. This full service rural health care facility has twenty-five inpatient beds to provide acute care, inpatient hospice and skilled rehabilitation. PCGH provides a wide array of outpatient services and an emergency room services. In addition, the hospital is part of a twenty-three acre campus that houses the Pointe Coupee Homebound Health and Hospice office, Pointe Coupee Nutrition Services office, physician offices, Pointe Coupee Physical Therapy, Pointe Coupee Human Services, public health unit, sanitation office, substance abuse counseling offices, and the Council on Aging.